Friday 15 August 2008

Roast Vege Salad

Last night I made one of our favourite winter dinners - roast vege salad. It doesn't look that appetising in the photo below, but it was delicious.
I don't really have a recipe as such, instead it's more of an idea. You chop up lots of roastable vegetables into chunks (this time I used pumpkin, kumara, yams, carrots, red onion, courgette and capsicum but eggplant and potato are also nice), then toss them in a little oil and garlic (I used garlic-infused oil which makes things easier), season with salt and pepper and then chuck them in the oven at 220 degC for about 40 minutes or until they are tender. Take them out of the oven, and while they are still hot, drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over the top and mix through. Serve warm or cold.

I sprinkled some sunflower seeds over the top of each serve (for protein) and then put a dollop of pesto dressing on the top. I made the dressing by mixing some mayonnaise with some ready-made basil pesto. You could just use watered-down pesto. Or aioli. Or plain mayonnaise. Or even oil and vinegar dressing. Whatever appeals to you.

I always make too much of this, but the leftovers are delicious for lunch the next day. Or you can stir the leftovers through some tomato-based pasta sauce and use it as a topping on pasta.

6 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

Mmmmm... that sounds really good and I'm all for things that you can just chuck in the oven :-)

Anonymous said...

D-licious! I've just finished making a roast vegetable soup with most of the veges you've mentioned!

sweetp said...

Yum! We had this for tea last night and even my ever fussy DH ate it!!! Thanks

Rabbit and the Duck said...

Yum! I used to make this all the time and serve it with tzatziki and some mixed salad leaves. I think I know what I'll be cooking for dinner tonight!

kimberlee said...

YUM

skatey katie said...

funny how many peeps *love* this stuff... i usually make it with a bit of cooked couscous chucked in and swish a vinaigrette with a teaspoon of curry powder stirred into it over the veggies.
yum.

but hey, i stepped outside my comfort zone and instead of making the usual beef stroganoff with the rump steak tonight, i made little pot pies. very cute and i even disguised leeks and red capsicum in them lol.
mwah X